Sunday, July 26, 2009

I Love You, Target


I hate WalMart. It is true that their prices are the lowest around, only because they scrimp elsewhere like overtime pay and health care for their employees. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for, and at WalMart all you will get is crap. If you are lucky you might get a cashier who speaks English, but don't count on it.
I was forced to make a purchase at Walmart this weekend. I was attending a baby shower and it was the only place the family was registered. I checked the registry the night before to select my purchase and was off to the store the next day. The following is my Walmart experience.
I walk in and am promptly greeted by a little old man who is at least 150 years old. I ask if he can direct me to the baby registry printer. He can't. He refers me to the customer service counter. The line is a mile long. I find an employee to ask, who of course doesn't think they even have a baby registry anymore. I assure her they do. She skips the line and asks the customer service lady where I can find the information I am looking for. Her reply, "I don't know, maybe it's by the jewelry department?" Of course. Right where it should be. Jewelry. Not the baby department. That would be silly. I know that in Target, you walk in and the registry is right by the customer service counter where it belongs. Why, oh why, could I not be at Target right now?
I head off to the jewelry dept in search of the elusive registry printer. I do not find it here. What I do find is a man behind the camera counter with an Internet connection who looks up the registry for me on the website. Mission accomplished. The rest would be easy, right?
I trudge off to the baby dept to look for the diaper pail I am after. It isn't where the label says it should be. Instead I find an open car seat box and a McDonald's drink cup. In fact, nothing is where it should be. There are all sorts of things that have been moved around or mis-stocked. Ok, I'll pick something else. I'll get the baby monitor. Off to the cashier. What? This rang up $25 more than the tag says. I ask the cashier. She explains that sometimes the Internet price is different. Really? A $25 dollar Internet discount on a monitor that is only $35 to begin with? I'll go get something else. This happens two more times. Long story short, I finally walk out of Walmart an hour later with a crib mattress. Stupid Walmart. This would never happen at Target. I'm sorry Target. I will never cheat on you again.

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that you had such a terrible experience with wal mart. Even after working at Target for a time, I have to admit that I am still a wal mart shopper. Their prices def. have an impact on where I get to shop though. I have never had such an experience there either. I wonder if being in Utah has anything to do with that though. Sorry, hope you had a good time at the shower and that they really appreciated the gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do I love thee Target? Let me count the ways... Amen, Cindy. Target rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, LOVE Target. Not to mention you can always buy a Slushy - either red OR blue - to make little 3 and 5 year olds REALLY REALLY happy. Oh yes, and the Slushy place is completely opposite the toy dept so you don't even have to pass by and worry about that potential battle...
    Signed,
    Also a target devotee
    CA Grandma

    PS - Dislike K-mart too. Very wierd smell there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like they really need a good greeter at WalMart. I'll get my application in ASAP.

    ReplyDelete