Saturday, June 5, 2010

Empty Nesters



It's official. Our little birdies are all grown up. Last night as I was getting ready to mow the lawn, Ryan called me over to look at something in the grass. It was our little baby birds that have taken up residence in the tree on our porch. After a quick look around, we found the other two scampering around on the walkway. We kept trying to put them back in the nest, but they were clearly ready to fly the coop. It's amazing how fast they grew. They only hatched about a week ago! I wonder if I'm doing something wrong as a mom because Christian has been with us for over a year and he's not even close to leaving home. I guess human babies take a little longer to cook.





The mom and dad birds were hovering around and were not happy that Ryan and I were there. They were pretty fearless flying around us and trying to lure us away from their babies. It was kind of cool to see that they were willing to risk their own safety to save their kids. All of Mother Nature's creatures love their kids. God speed, little birds. See you when you come home to nest next year. We'll keep the porch light on for you.


4 comments:

  1. Ahhh! You have a pretty good chance that they will be back next year. We seem to have them year after year now. Our three babies hatched and left about a week ago. Sad not to hear the cute little chirping, but soooo happy to not have a pile of white poop on my back porch any longer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to hear the end of the story! I especially love the last "portrait". Pretty cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you let them go? ! you missed out on some prime bird nuggets...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute and home-y. I wish I had bird babies in my yard. (Jon and Peg have deer that return to give birth in the safe haven of their property.) Let us know if your littlest tennants come back next spring.

    ReplyDelete