Saturday, May 9, 2009

Home Improvement

We closed on our first house March 13th and have been working diligently to get everything organized ever since. Its amazing how much work a house is! I never knew that new carpet could create so much fuzz or that there could be so much construction dust. I did manage to straighten up a few rooms long enough to take a picture while Christian was happily in his Baby Bjorn. Here is the photo tour of the rooms that are completely done. Thanks to Mom, these rooms have some color. She passed the time waiting for me to go into labor by painting 5 of the rooms in our house. Thanks Mom!
The first room we finished was Christian's nursery. I realized the week before my due date that if I didn't paint now, it probably wouldn't get done. So Ryan and I went to Sherwin Williams to pick out a paint color and get supplies. Ryan picked the perfect shade of green and after two coats, a few touch ups, and many trips to Babies R Us, the nursery was done. Christian still prefers to sleep in his bouncy chair or car seat, but I know that some day he will appreciate the beautiful crib that his parents got him.

The kitchen isn't quite done yet. It still needs a coat of paint, probably green to match the granite, but that job will have to wait (Mom, when are you coming back to visit??) I love this kitchen! What you can't see is the big old pantry off to the right that gives me all the storage I need. There is also a laundry/mud room to the right that houses our brand new front load washer and dryer. This was probably the purchase that Ryan and I were most excited about. After years of apartment dwelling with tiny pint sized washers, it was a big day for us when we could actually wash more than two pair of jeans at the same time. All hail Whirlpool!

The family room is the only completely finished room. The family room and the entry hall have super high ceilings, so we asked the builder to paint it in our purchase offer. We were so pumped to be able to pick out colors and not have to live another day with all white apartment walls! Thanks to Ryan's parents who were downsizing their house, we were also able to get some cool antique pieces and big rug to decorate with. As a side note, the Lazy Boy in the corner is one of my favorite purchases for the house. It is perfect for nursing and rocking tired babies to sleep. A must for any parent. Also, you can see Christian sleeping in his bouncy chair in this picture. He has probably slept more nights in his chair in the family room than in his crib because once he is asleep, I am too nervous to move him. As the saying goes, let sleeping dogs lie. The last picture is another view of the family room looking towards the entry hall. We are still working on the two front rooms. They will require some major furniture purchases so they will have to wait. Until then, I can work on the upstairs bedrooms. They are pretty much done but still need paint. Mom...

































3 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you and very impressed with what you have done so far. Can't wait to see pictures of the rest of the house, it is absolutely beautiful! Have fun, I love to decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks sweet so far! I love Christian's room. And the picture over the fireplace looks really cool. But now we need to see more pictures of the kid...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on you little guy. He is adorable (of course!). Your house looks wonderful.
    I have the same (or very similar) granite in my kitchen and I just painted my walls green. It's Restoration Hardware's Sycamore Green. I had it matched at Benjamin Moore. Not that you need anymore projects :)

    Congrats again and I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete